Spill the beans somebody, what's the fascination with Sankey Trailers then?

General Landrover stuff, greenlane trips, shows, journeys, stories, etc.
fuckwit
Running on six!

Spill the beans somebody, what's the fascination with Sankey Trailers then?

Postby fuckwit » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:58 am

What's the fascination with Sankey Trailers then?

I must be dim, but why are these things so sought after? I must be missing something? OK, I do realise you'll not find much better in terms of a small HD trailer, and I don't suppose you'll find cheaper, but for every-man and his dog, they seem impractical. Yet, compared to larger, equally good and more weight capable stuff, by say Ifor Williams, also with brakes, your actaul Sankey commands pretty high prices.

Worse, the load-bed is very high, yet still fouled-up by the wheel-arches, and it's not very big. Seems to me, the only face that fits for a Sankey is a wannabee Walt.

Coming from a bloke with three trailers, (yes three) I was left wondering? So, what am I missing?

DasLandRoverMan
The 1-Ton Welder

Re: Spill the beans somebody, what's the fascination with Sankey Trailers then?

Postby DasLandRoverMan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Not much I don't think.
Fair enough they don't mind being overloaded, but I found when I had one that it wasn't what you'd call stunningly better than a similarly sized Ifor Williams unit.

I suppose the ground clearance helped if you wanted something for off road work, but that's the only real benefit.
I paid £150 for mine and sold it a few years later for £300, so don't really feel like I lost anything from the experience.
Westlakes All Wheel Drive

Carpe Dentum - Sieze the Teeth!!!

22900013A
The 1-Ton Wonder

Postby 22900013A » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:10 pm

I've never quite understood it either. I suppose they are a nice accessory if you are running an ex-MOD vehicle but as you say they are not very practical - didn't most of them lack a drop down tailgate? I prefer my ex SEB trailer but then I would I suppose! :lol:
http://sebvehicles.blogspot.co.uk/
http://eblrs.org/
1966 IIA Swb 24125067C ex-SEB managers vehicle HMO968D
1969 IIA 1-Ton 22900013A ex-SEB NBK148G
1972 III 1-Ton 26600078A ex-SEB Cherrypicker VJT440L
1973 III 1-Ton 26600082B ex-SEB MRX287L

fuckwit
Running on six!

Postby fuckwit » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:02 pm

I make that 3-0 then?

I'm sure your ex-board jobby is of the same ilk as one of mine - an ex-local authority thing. Massively heavy, you know the kinda' thing, 4mm plate for everything. Makes even an Ifor Williams look shoddy. So well made it could only be that good because the buyers weren't spending their money.

A Sankey fan will be along, don't think you get any proper tail-gate, definitely no ramps.

Titch
Running on six!

Postby Titch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:06 pm

Horrible things , grossly heavy, never wanted one , sorry to all those Sankey Fans out there !