Images in posts

Forum information and FAQs
muddyweb
Site Admin

Images in posts

Postby muddyweb » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:24 am

Hi all,

With the demise of PhotoBucket's free hosting service, a lot of threads have suddenly had their images removed.

Just so you are aware, you should be able to attach the images directly to your post, then you don't have to reply on an external service. At the bottom of the posting screen, you should see a tab called 'Attachments'. From here, you can add images to the post and they should appear inline.

You don't have quite the same level of control in terms of positioning the image in the post, etc. but it's a quick, simple way to get your images attached.
Attachments
DSCF1460.JPG

fuckwit
Running on six!

Re: Images in posts

Postby fuckwit » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:36 am

Tim

Two quicky questions.

1) I'm in the midst of re-coding the 50-60 images I did for the 'rims' thread. In this case you've kindly thrown FTP info at me. Much better for a bulk re-code, but does parking images as you suggest above allow me edits via the same tag?

I'm embedding images using HTML and the

Code: Select all

[img][/img]
tag.

If I make image uploads via this sites file upload, can I then get the file URL (then sitting on 900club.org, and edit any page then placing via the img tag positioning into a page as I so choose, or will this break? Or is there little point in this because I'm lumbered with the image at the bottom of each thread anyway?

2) I understand this board is BB Edit or similar and if so is able to embed Youtube code in pages. Only at present it needs Admin privileges to do this. If I am correct, can you kick it for us?

muddyweb
Site Admin

Postby muddyweb » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi,

The FTP details I've provided are actually for my CDN rather than being part of the forum hosting, (the thread seems to be linked from all kinds of places, so it makes sense to not suck up the forum bandwidth for the images).

Unfortunately, due to <dull technical reasons>, it's less easy to get direct links to the images uploaded as post attachments, so it's not a straightforward case of putting the address in the

[img] [/img]
tags as you suggest.

muddyweb
Site Admin

Postby muddyweb » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:14 pm

In answer to your second point, see here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1444

:-)

muddyweb
Site Admin

Postby muddyweb » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:25 am

To add a bit more info. We've just updated the forum software to a newer version, and it now provides a bit more control with the attachments. When you add an image, you should see a button which says 'Display inlne'

If you click this button, you should get something like the following added to your post:

[attachment=0]36443b36c9bd5d1c37e5bcdffb63cfae.jpg[/attachment]
This will allow you to position the attachments wherever you want in your text.
36443b36c9bd5d1c37e5bcdffb63cfae.jpg

Hopefully, this will further reduce the reliance on external services for images

22900013A
The 1-Ton Wonder

Postby 22900013A » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:17 pm

This is fantastic, thanks so much for your work here Tim.
http://sebvehicles.blogspot.co.uk/
http://eblrs.co.uk
1966 IIA Swb 24125067C ex-SEB managers vehicle HMO968D
1969 IIA 1-Ton 22900013A ex-SEB NBK148G
1973 III 1-Ton 26600078A ex-SEB Cherrypicker VJT440L
1973 III 1-Ton 26600082B ex-SEB MRX287L

jim
High range

Postby jim » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:24 pm

Hello, sorry its not often i get on now days ,,, but what a shame about photobucket so many pics to try and sort :shock:
"If you can dream it, you can achieve it."—Zig Ziglar

''Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.'' — Albert Einstein

muddyweb
Site Admin

Postby muddyweb » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:15 am

I can understand their position. Servers, storage and bandwidth all cost money. Clearly they couldn't make enough of it with their previous model, so they've had to look at the services they provide.

What is a bit of an eye-opener is just how widely used their image hosting was. Pretty much any community style site (and a few cheeky commercial ones) I look at is currently plastered with broken images.

fuckwit
Running on six!

Postby fuckwit » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:55 pm

Er... 'kin annoying but yes, they have to make money and whilst I get a tad suspicious they have let us all get into this position, can't really blame 'em. They run their site for their self-interest. Why would it be for mine?

And 'Your muddiness', thanks for the extra 'toys'. Like the way the editor works.