Coil sprung 101.

Photos and info about your 101
Wheeledbeast
In overdrive

Re: Coil sprung 101.

Postby Wheeledbeast » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:44 am

Looks like a job Weld Done. :) ... I'll get my coat!

Its starting to look like you have got something there, looking forwart to seeing a rolling chassis.

DasLandRoverMan
The 1-Ton Welder

Postby DasLandRoverMan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Getting somewhere near...

Had a bit more of a play with it this afternoon, cut the front spring mounts off the remains of the Rangie chassis and looked at attaching them to the 101 chassis.
As with the back end the bump stop was sawn off, and the axle centreline marked, with the cab mounting bracket that's in the way removed (to be sorted later) and the old front shock absorber mount cut off, and the mounting plate on the outside cut back to clear the spring seat.

Welded the spring seat on, and the axle stuck under it.

As it sits with the Rangie front springs, and no weight on it. It should level out, or be ever so slightly nose down with the cab on and engine and gearbox in.

Gonna have to put a bit of thought into the steering setup, currently toying with the idea of turning the front crossmember 180 degrees (to put the steering relay on the right side) and use a Dodge 50 PAS box. Either that or a 4 bolt Disco box mounted with the input shaft facing upward.
I also need to swop the panhard rod over to the RHD position, a d change the left hand swivel housing for one with a steering arm on it as the Rangie it came from was a left hooker.

Wether the front Anti Roll bar will in the 101 position is questionable, partly depending on steering setup, and also how to mount it to the axle as at present it's rather close to the springs.
Westlakes All Wheel Drive

Carpe Dentum - Sieze the Teeth!!!

Doc
High range

Postby Doc » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:19 am

Great project. Keep the pics coming.

Norrimac

Postby Norrimac » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:14 pm

The yellow one with the blue tilt might be mine! It came out of the Malcolm Whitbread workshops just like that one. (I think it was the only yellow one).

Full trials spec with mega rollcage, engine shifted back, trick gear change, Range Rover running gear.

She's on Mallorca now, got her in Tyne and Wear a year ago.

DasLandRoverMan
The 1-Ton Welder

Postby DasLandRoverMan » Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:18 pm

The yellow one is indeed your truck, before Dave bought it in that picture.

This project stalled some a while ago, I still have the chassis, but lacking the time and money to do much with it.
I have recently pondered returning to it but using Disco 2 axles, radius arms and watts linkage to finish off the suspension.

It'll be a while before I can realistically contemplate it though.
Westlakes All Wheel Drive

Carpe Dentum - Sieze the Teeth!!!