Engine swap.

Share photos and info about your Series 2 FC
jim
High range

Re: Engine swap.

Postby jim » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:19 pm

DasLandRoverMan wrote:I'm likely to be doing PAS on a IIB utilising an LDV van steering box in the next few months.

Keep an eye open and you might get some ideas?

Dan im also been looking into fitting a LDV box as well very soon probably when engine is in and runing. :) They look like might be easy enough job just not sure about which drop arm to use.
"If you can dream it, you can achieve it."—Zig Ziglar

''Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.'' — Albert Einstein

DasLandRoverMan
The 1-Ton Welder

Postby DasLandRoverMan » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:33 pm

Depending on when the job gets done I'm sure there'll be some cross pollination depending on who does it first.

The vehicle I'll be working on hasn't arrived yet but already has a few weeks work lined up for it, so the when will rather depend on if the new owner can work with no PAS, and when I can pin it down for the job.

The vehicle in question is known to a few on here already.

Sorry to hijack your thread Jim.
Westlakes All Wheel Drive

Carpe Dentum - Sieze the Teeth!!!

jim
High range

Postby jim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:34 am

Nice looking truck there Das will be interesting to see the Steering box when it get done :)

Engine swap update, have moved on a little been bad weather so not as much done on the truck as hoped been working on engine in garage mostly,, but heres some pics...

First off is the extra couple of braces onto the cross member next to the steering realy with a nice an thick double weld, the fracture was only noticable when turning steering to left?
Adding the braces/welding the fracture, has taken up the 1.5inch of play at the steering wheel that had allways been there even after fitting new ball joints / relay and rebuilding steering box. Had allways thought the play was due to so many linkages in the system, now there is no play at all definatly worth checking out as that fracture could have only got worse, still not bad for its age ;) :D

Cross member support plates all done spent lot of time lineing up and very happy with the result well worth the work :D

Crush tubes welded in and when bolted up it somehow feels lot stiffer than the original probably due to the extra plates and crush tubes joining the two side walls of the chassie section together?

:D

''Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.'' — Albert Einstein

jim
High range

Postby jim » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Somewhat moved on engines in..

Lots still to do will post somemore soon :)

DasLandRoverMan
The 1-Ton Welder

Postby DasLandRoverMan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Looking like good progress. How long until its running again?

22900013A
The 1-Ton Wonder

Postby 22900013A » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:05 am

And a question from me - where did you get the paint for your engine?
http://sebvehicles.blogspot.co.uk/
http://eblrs.org/
1966 IIA Swb 24125067C ex-SEB managers vehicle HMO968D
1969 IIA 1-Ton 22900013A ex-SEB NBK148G
1972 III 1-Ton 26600078A ex-SEB Cherrypicker VJT440L
1973 III 1-Ton 26600082B ex-SEB MRX287L

jim
High range

Postby jim » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:02 am

Should be up and running in a few weeks time, all going well and weather permitting can not wait to give it a run.

The engine enamel was purchased from ebay, duck egg engine enamel ;)

jim
High range

Postby jim » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:47 pm

Sorry :oops: Been a long time since I posted :oops:

Thought a update on the V8 might be good, so far so good has had covered quite a few thousand miles on the clock and no problems at all. ;)

The radiator works great if anything runs little to cool, the electric fans only come on when standing still for 10mins and then only run for very short time.

Gearbox is holding up great although it did jump out of third at exactly 2500rpm and only when under heavy load up hill. :? Took quite some time to work out why and only after striping the box and haveing very close inspection and much reading found that I had put the 3rd gear syncro hub in the wrong way round :shock:.

Put the box back together and has be great with no problems since all nice and quiet ;) couple oil changes later and all still looks good (series 3 suffixD box).
Hill starts are steady away but once underway no problem with the series 3 transferbox gearing, although I would not want to drop the clutch at high revs thats for sure :shock: sure would not last long then :(

For traveling around and how I drive its doing fine :DD will sit all day a 60mph 3000rpm, averages about 18mpg, have been off road a bit nothing to write home about and in low range it definatly dose the job. ;)

Have changed the tyres for the Yellow Sea items and they work a treat much quieter and handles a little bit better (radial vs crossply) ;) still steady away on the roundabouts and the steering is still heavy and power steering is on the cards very soon :D

Ohh and theres no Oil :shock: leaks YET :DD

Wheeledbeast
In overdrive

Postby Wheeledbeast » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:59 pm

:D 18 MPG is fantastic. Do you get on Okay on steep climbs, do you feel like you are running out of gears? I have got a "normal control" box that i was considering fitting, but i dont have the grunt of the the V8 available.

DasLandRoverMan
The 1-Ton Welder

Postby DasLandRoverMan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:20 pm

How about adding a V8 aswell Faye?